Thursday, August 21, 2008

Glendale Mexican Food

This week I've taken a friend from the UK (who had never had Mexican food before) on a local Mexican food journey, from the cheese-laden Mexican comfort food of Don Cuco's to the overstuffed fish tacos at Senor Fish and the small, intensely tasty tacos at Tacos El Sauz in southwest Glendale.

For the record, I never go to Don Cuco's of my own free will.

If I'm in charge, I head to La Cabanita in Montrose for sit-down Mexican. Senor Fish is one of my favorite local spots, and I make a point of stopping by whenever I'm over in Eagle Rock. I live near Tacos El Sauz and have been meaning to try it ever since I moved in. I ordered a sampler plate of al pastor, carne asada and pollo tacos (carnitas was mysteriously absent from the menu), washed them down with a horchata and was immensely satisfied. The carne asada was particular good.

Downtown Glendale is especially deficient in Mexican cuisine...I haven't spotted much life beyond Don Cuco's and Chuy's, which makes Don Cuco's look like fine dining. Are there any good Mexican places in Glendale that I've missed?

13 comments:

AVN said...

I do like some Barrigan's now and again, however unhip that may be.

Anne-arky said...

Don Cuco's is awesome, salty, cheesy comfort food.

Don't be hatin.

;)

Jeff Lowe said...

First (and only) thing my cardio surgeon said as I was being wheeled into recovery...
"stay away from cheese"! ...and I don't even like cheese except the gooey stuff on Mexican and cheesecake, of course.

nateinabox said...

I always have to go just outside of Glendale for Mexican food...

El Sol, La Cabinita, and Joselitos in Montrose are good. Rambo's Taco Truck in Eagle Rock. Bonita Cocina in East Pasadena for my fish taco fix.

I just need to find a place in LA that does the homemade tortillas...

And I'll second the shenanigans call on Don Cuco's. Ok for work lunch, but just above Acapulco on the Mexican food ladder. Plenty of other joints for my salty chips and refried beans.

Scott said...

Next time the gang is set on cheese and margarita Mexican, I will steer us towards Barragan's for a change. It's walking distance close, also.

Anonymous said...

2 blocks north of El Sauz is La Cita. Awesome authentic Mexican food.

Scott said...

I've passed La Cita a million times and been curious about it. I'll put that on the list of places to try as well.

Anonymous said...

Casa de Ramos, on the north side of Glenoaks just east of Highland Ave., is a local neighborhood hangout. The rear outdoor patio is pleasant despite its location next to an alley.

Anonymous said...

Just up the road from La Cabinita is a new place, Tortas. Go 'round the corner toward the 2 freeway entrance and look to your left, in the Von's Shopping Center. Nateinabox, they do homemade tortillas. Nothing fancy, just good. This is like the Lincoln Hts hole-in-the-walls of my youth. Yum.

Mike said...

We were disappointed by La Cita. La Cabanita all the way!

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, I just found out about a really good place in Montrose (better than La Cabinita imo) because food just tastes much more homemade. It's called El Charro.. it's just farther up on verdugo..

Yelp seems to not think it's very good though.. but my family and I had a good time there and we thought it was well priced. The only bad part about it was the ambiance, the place felt very old, maybe because they haven't remodeled it since it opened in the 60's sometime.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-charro-restaurant-montrose

Not Quite Lightning McQueen said...

Every try Ernie's on Colorado (across from Target and Westfield shopping center)?

Scott said...

Yeah, it was okay as far as cheesy American Mexican goes. Better options in that area, though.