Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Mystery Of The Barbershop Hieroglyphs

This illustration is on the back of a business card for a local, very old school barbershop.

Can you guess what it means? I couldn't figure it out and had my barber explain it to me. Were whimsical hieroglyphs on the back of business cards a common thing in the 50s?

I will leave it to the hive mind (if the hive mind happens to be reading!) to guess the meaning in the comments. If no one figures it out or comments, I will put up the solution (and the front side of the business card) next Wednesday.

I used to have my hair cut in a tiny barbershop by an old Armenian man who spoke no English except "How are you?" and "Thaaank you". Sample conversation:

Me: Hi, I'd like a haircut.
Barber: How are you?
Me: I'm doing well, how are you?
Barber: Thaaank you.

And the rest of the cut would proceed in absolute silence, which was part of the appeal. For about a year he did a great job and was almost comically attentive. He would actually use a straight razor to do a lot of the work. I had to stop going to him after a visit during the World Cup. He had the TV on, and barely looked away from the game to cut my hair! It showed.

Update: solution posted here.

2 comments:

Art said...

Holy mackerel look at the ass on that tomato!

Scott said...

You got it, Art! Nicely done.